Area Supervisor/Contract Supervisor - Commercial Ref: FHJUS4GS
Location: Hertfordshire and Neighbouring Areas
Contract Type: Permanent
Hours per week: 40
Salary: £29,196 per annum
Closing Date: 12th October 2021
Job Title: Area Supervisor/Contract Supervisor (Commerical)
Location: Mundells, Welwyn Garden City
PURPOSE OF THE JOB
To deputise for the Contract Manager to deliver a quality service according to clients, according to contractual requirements and within financial targets. Commercial experience is a must for this role. The post holder will deputise for the Contract Manager in the day to day running of the schools/contracts within their Area. To deputise for the Contract Manager in promoting and the continued development of the skills of the workforce.
MAIN AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
1. To deputise for the Contract Manager in the development and maintainence of contracts and service in order to ensure retention of the business. Develop and maintain positive customer relationships with the schools/contract, responding to individual needs and working with the Unit staff to effectively promote and continually develop the service to become an integral part of the School/Business ethos. Attend Heads’ meetings, Governor forums and School Councils to ensure there is a positive and realistic view of the service and what it is trying to achieve, where required.
2. To deputise for the Contract Manager in organising, planning and leading the catering teams for all catering Units within the designated Area, ensuring that Units are fully operational at meal times and consistently deliver the required standard. Respond to any absence problems by deploying the available mobile resources to plug gaps in provision. Make adaptations as necessary to meet any special, emergency and function catering requirements of the customers.
3. To deputise for the Contract Manager in the Management of staff in Units, including staff performance, conducting PMDS, ensuring staff are motivated and developed to their full potential. Manage performance and conduct issues when they arise. Participate in recruitment and induction of Unit based staff; identify training and development needs within the Area, ensuring that statutory training is delivered to all staff in line with legislation and HCL’s Policies and Procedures.
4. Troubleshoot customer service issues as they arise, assisting staff in Units where necessary. Act as first line point of contact for the management of contracts, deputising for the Contract Manager as and when issues escalate.
5. Implement the operational management of the HCL Food Safety Policy and Safeguarding Policy to provide a safe and healthy environment for customers and staff in all schools. Set standards, monitor and audit compliance with HCL Policies and Procedures through the Quality Audit System; taking effective action where there is non-compliance. Maintain audit trail documentation. Work with Training & Standards Manager and / or Contract Manager to ensure HCL standards are maintained.
6. Deputise for the Contract Manager in for managing and achieving financial budgets. Monitor and troubleshoot to ensure that financial budgets within their assigned Area are achieved. Work within Units to ensure records are maintained correctly and cash handled accurately so that monies are properly accounted for. Implement initiatives to increase take up of the service (Primary) and increased turnover (Commercial).
7. Contribute to the effectiveness of team projects, working groups and Region teams within the organisation.
The duties and responsibilities listed above describe the post as it is at present. The post holders is expected to accept any reasonable alterations that may from time to time be necessary.
QUALIFICATIONS AND/OR EXPERIENCE
• Demonstrates effective IT skills, including Word, Excel and email.
• You will be self-motivated with good organisational skills and ability to prioritise workload, within demanding timescales, whilst remaining resilient under pressure.
• You will have excellent people management skills
• Demonstrates good interpersonal skills, you will foster relationships with a variety of stakeholders.
• You must be team player and someone who enjoys solving problems and analysing data.
• You should relish change and be flexible to accommodate daily priorities.
• You will have commercial experience as well as an understanding of budget management.
• You will have previous experience in catering multi-unit management as well as an excellent knowledge of current Nutritional and Food Safety legislation.
• The ability to work confidentially, accurately and independently.
• Positive approach to the workplace and commitment to working flexibly to achieve service and team needs.
• The ability to communicate fluently with customers in accurate spoken and written English is essential for the post.
• This is a mobile role, you must have a driving licence and access to transport on a daily basis.
HCL is an award-winning specialist caterer with a foundation in the education sector. We provide quality services to academies, colleges and schools whilst maintaining a clear social ethos and bringing the acumen, drive and passion of a rapidly growing commercial organisation.
At HCL our staff is our greatest asset and we are pro-active in providing the tools to develop individuals into motivated teams.
HCL is committed to openness and equality of opportunity in every activity, from the way we employ staff to the way we deliver services. It is a central responsibility of managers and employees of the company to ensure that every individual that we come into contact with is treated with dignity and respect. An HCL Employee Handbook will be given to all staff, and a full briefing on the contents of the policy is included in induction.
DISCLOSURE AND BARRING SERVICE
This post is classed as having a high degree of contact with children or vulnerable adults and is exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974. An enhanced disclosure will be sought through the Disclosure and Barring Service as part of HCL’s pre-employment checks. Please note that additional information referring to the Disclosure and Barring Service is in the guidance notes to the application form. If you are invited to interview, you will receive more information.
HEALTH AND SAFETY
It will be the duty of every employee while at work to take reasonable care for the Health and Safety of themselves and of other persons who may be affected by their acts or omissions at work.
TRAINING AND DEVELOPMENT
HCL is committed to giving you every opportunity to pursue your own personal development, raise your standards of performance and enhance your career prospects. It is vital that you recognise that learning is a personal responsibility and therefore HCL expect you to take an active part in your learning and development.
Previous applicants need not apply. Please note that we reserve the right to close this vacancy before the closing date depending on the amount of applications.