Head of Kitchen - Cook Manager (Primary School) Term Time Only - Ops4 - Incentive Payment Ref: FSWPPENB
Organisation: Millfield First & Nursery
Contract Type: Permanent
Hours per week: 27.50
Salary: £13,308 per annum (£11.00 per hour)
Closing Date: 7th July 2022
Head of Kitchen - Cook Manager
We offer a £1,000 incentive payment (t&cs apply)
We are looking for a Cook Manager to play a vital part in helping provide excellence service, to children in our Primary Schools.
You will be directing and managing the school meals service, to ensure children receive their school meals, therefore it is essential that you have a strong understanding of the importance of Health and Safety as well as high standards of hygiene and a neat and tidy appearance.
We will need you to have excellent communication skills and be able to demonstrate the ability to lead and manage a team.
At HCL our staff are our greatest asset, and we are pro-active in providing the tools to develop individuals into motivated teams.
Benefits of working for HCL:
- Competitive pay, holiday allowance and Pension scheme
- Family friendly hours and term time working
- A well-trodden Career Path, with training opportunities to enhance your skills
- Benefits and discounts through our Herts Rewards package including shopping discounts
The ability to communicate fluently with customers in accurate spoken and written English is essential for the post.
MAIN AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
- Plan and implement the effective deployment of all Unit resources (staff, food, equipment and cleaning materials) as required to maximise the effectiveness of the Unit operation.
- Ensure that all food is prepared, cooked and served in strict accordance with HCL’s published three week menu cycle, including allergen and special diets.
- Manage and develop the Unit staff to ensure all staff are motivated and developed to their full potential. This will include appropriate on-the-job training, PMDS, recruiting to vacancies, probation reviews, performance management and first line discipline.
- Understand, implement, monitor and maintain the operational management of HCL’s Food Safety Management System (FSMS) and Health & Safety Policy, including relevant audit trail and ensure that all staff and visitors to the kitchen comply.
- As the Unit Manager, promote a constructive and effective communication of the meal service within the school. This includes understanding and promoting healthy eating practices through merchandising and marketing techniques in accordance with HCL’s policy. Work with the Contract Manager to develop strategies for improving take up of meals within the school and any hospitality catering.
- Manage the budget for the kitchen, working within set financial targets and maintaining a robust audit trail.
- Provide any special dietary, emergency and hospitality catering as required.
- Assist the Contract Manager in supporting and developing new Cook Managers within the Area, as required.
The duties and responsibilities listed above describe the post as it is at present. The post holder is expected to accept any reasonable alterations that may from time to time be necessary.
HCL is committed to openness and equality of opportunity in every activity, from the way we employ staff to the way we deliver services. It is a central responsibility of managers and employees of the company to ensure that every individual that we come into contact with is treated with dignity and respect. An HCL Employee Handbook will be given to all staff, and a full briefing on the contents of the policy is included in induction.
DISCLOSURE & BARRING SERVICE
Safeguarding children and adults is of utmost importance to HCL. The company expects employees to abide by legislation and best practice to enable HCL to achieve this. This role has been identified as requiring a DBS check or Basic Disclosure. You must ensure that the appropriate form is completed and returned as requested, as this will form a contractual requirement. If you require a criminal record check, you must allow the company to retain a copy of the disclosure certificate within your personal file should it be required. If you fail to disclose any caution, reprimand or conviction which is later identified on your DBS check you may be subject to disciplinary action and HCL has the right to suspend or dismiss you. Please note that additional information referring to the Disclosure and Barring Service is in the guidance notes to the application form. If you are invited to an interview you will receive more information.
HEALTH AND SAFETY
It will be the duty of every employee while at work to take reasonable care for the Health and safety of themselves and of other persons who may be affected by their acts or omissions at work.
HCL is an award-winning specialist caterer with a foundation in the education sector. We provide quality services to academies, colleges and schools whilst maintaining a clear social ethos and bringing the acumen, drive and passion of a rapidly growing commercial organisation.
TRAINING AND DEVELOPMENT
HCL is committed to giving you every opportunity to pursue your own personal development, raise your standards of performance and enhance your career prospects. A professional qualification will be required as part of this role. It is vital that you recognise that learning is a personal responsibility and therefore HCL expect you to take an active part in your learning and development.
Previous applicants need not apply. Please note that we reserve the right to close this vacancy before the closing date depending on the amount of applications.
To apply, please email your CV to HCL.Recruitment@hertfordshire.gov.uk, including the school name, or click 'APPLY NOW' below.