Mobile Assistant Cook Ref: VKMEDZF6
Location: Stevenage, Welwyn Garden City
Contract Type: Permanent
Hours per week: 20
Salary: £8,535 per annum (£9.70 per hour)
Closing Date: 24th May 2022
Job Title: Mobile Assistant Cook
PURPOSE OF THE JOB
To be responsible for the preparation, cooking, presentation and service of a specific range of dishes as determined on a daily basis by the Cook Manager of the Unit in line with legislation and the Policies and Procedures of HCL. To provide emergency catering and meals for transporting to other sites, as required.
MAIN AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
1. Prepare, cook and serve food as determined by the Cook Manager to the standards specified by HCL in strict accordance with the HCL published menus including the delivery of any special dietary, emergency, transported meals and hospitality catering where required.
2. Assist with any kitchen duties as required by the Cook Manager within the Unit, including cleaning, general washing up and clearing away within the kitchen and the dining room where required.
3. Maintain an up to date understanding of the Government’s School Food Standards and the make-up of HCL menu dishes to support our customers to make healthy choices.
4. Assist the Cook Manager in operational management of HCL’s Food Safety Management System (FSMS) and Health & Safety Policy to provide a safe and healthy environment for customers and staff in the Unit. Support the Cook Manager in setting and monitoring standards and compliance with HCL’s Policies and Procedures.
5. Under the supervision of the Cook Manager work within the set financial targets and maintain robust Unit records and audit trail documentation.
6. Deputise for the Cook Manager in their absence and ensure the Unit runs to the required standards.
7. On a daily basis travel to the kitchen where deployed and ensure arrangements for travel are in hand to enable full cover at the Unit concerned. May be requested on occasions to cover for staff shortages in the Secondary and Commercial Sectors.
The duties and responsibilities listed above describe the post as it is at present. The post holder is expected to accept any reasonable alterations that may from time to time be necessary.
HCL is an award-winning specialist caterer with a foundation in the education sector. We provide quality services to academies, colleges and schools whilst maintaining a clear social ethos and bringing the acumen, drive and passion of a rapidly growing commercial organisation.
At HCL our staff is our greatest asset and we are pro-active in providing the tools to develop individuals into motivated teams.
HCL is committed to openness and equality of opportunity in every activity, from the way we employ staff to the way we deliver services. It is a central responsibility of managers and employees of the company to ensure that every individual that we come into contact with is treated with dignity and respect. An HCL Employee Handbook will be given to all staff, and a full briefing on the contents of the policy is included in induction.
DISCLOSURE AND BARRING SERVICE
Safeguarding children and adults is of utmost importance to HCL. The company expects employees to abide by legislation and best practice to enable HCL to achieve this. This role has been identified as requiring a DBS check or Basic Disclosure. You must ensure that the appropriate form is completed and returned as requested by the Joining Team, as this will form a contractual requirement.
If you require a criminal record check, you must allow the company to retain a copy of the disclosure certificate within your personal file.
If you fail to disclose any caution, reprimand or conviction which is later identified on your DBS check you may be subject to disciplinary action and HCL has the right to suspend or dismiss you. Please note that additional information referring to the Disclosure and Barring Service is in the guidance notes to the application form. If you are invited to an interview you will receive more information.
HEALTH AND SAFETY
It will be the duty of every employee while at work to take reasonable care for the Health and safety of themselves and of other persons who may be affected by their acts or omissions at work.
TRAINING AND DEVELOPMENT
HCL is committed to giving you every opportunity to pursue your own personal development, raise your standards of performance and enhance your career prospects. It is vital that you recognise that learning is a personal responsibility and therefore HCL expect you to take an active part in your learning and development.
As a self-motivated individual, you will have excellent communication skills as well as being able to demonstrate the ability to work effectively as part of a team.
It is essential that you have a strong understanding of the importance of Health and Safety as well as high standards of hygiene and a neat and tidy appearance.
You will be willing to be fully involved role in providing an excellent service to the customer, including attending on the job training if necessary. You will be confident in dealing with monies whilst being able to maintain accurate records if required.
Must have daily access to reliable transport to travel to the Unit you are deployed to.
The ability to communicate fluently with customers in accurate spoken and written English is essential for the post.
Previous applicants need not apply. Please note that we reserve the right to close this vacancy before the closing date depending on the amount of applications.