Mobile Chef Manager (Secondary School) Term time only Ref: XF02NVVB
Location: Hertfordshire and Neighbouring Areas
Contract Type: Permanent
Hours per week: 37
Salary: £20,510 per annum (£12.60 per hour)
Closing Date: 11th October 2021
Mobile Chef Manager (Secondary School) - Term Time Only
Hourly rate: £11.45 per hour, increasing to £12.10 per hour once probation period completed
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a self-motivated and creative individual who will play a vital part in directing the catering team in the preparation, cooking, and consistent presentation of all menus.
PURPOSE OF THE JOB
- To direct and manage the delivery of a catering service to a particular contract in line with legislation, the Business Plan agreed with the Client and the Policies and Procedures of HCL.
- To manage the agreed budgets, thereby ensuring a financially viable catering service for both HCL and the Client.
- To provide emergency catering and meals for transporting to other sites, as required.
MAIN AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
- To direct the catering team in the preparation, cooking, and consistent presentation of all menus as required through the day in line with the individual Business Plan for the contract. Menus to comply with the Government’s School Food Standards, as required, including delivery of any special dietary, emergency and function catering as required.
- Lead and manage all staff within the catering team, ensuring they are effectively trained and monitored to comply with relevant legislation and HCL’s Food Safety Management System (FSMS), HCL’s Health & Safety Policy and HCL’s Policies and Procedures to provide a safe and healthy environment for customers and staff in the Unit. Ensure a robust audit trail is maintained and that all staff and visitors comply with these and that Staff Training Records are kept up to date.
- Effectively plan and direct the deployment of the resources of the catering service (food, staff, equipment and cleaning materials) as required to maximise the efficiency and output of the operation. Ensure that all staff have ongoing working knowledge of menus – regarding ingredients, correct portion sizes and selling process to advise customers as required.
- Manage the financial budget to ensure the catering service is cost effective, whilst meeting the needs of both customers and the Client. Handle cash effectively and ensure all monies are properly accounted for. Implement cashless catering system, if required.
- Devise innovative menus (using fresh quality ingredients) and introduce food concepts and other food initiatives as required. Ensure that the food offer is appealing to a wide and diverse range of customers and represents value for money. Lead and monitor to ensure consistent high quality of service delivery.
- Proactively market and promote the catering service, fully utilising the ‘brand’ resources available to drives sales and improve overall take up of the food offer.
- Conduct appropriate recruitment, induction and on the job training, PMDS and first line discipline, to ensure staff are motivated and developed to their full potential.
- Build a strong relationship with the Client’s representative, integrate with the School Student Council and other forums (where this applies), to ensure the development of service is integral to the ethos of the Client.
The duties and responsibilities listed above describe the post as it is at present. The post holder is expected to accept any reasonable alterations that may from time to time be necessary.
- As a self-motivated individual, you will have excellent communication skills as well as being able to demonstrate the ability to lead and manage a team.
- It is essential that you have a strong understanding of the importance of Health and Safety as well as high standards of hygiene and a neat and tidy appearance.
- You will be willing to be fully involved role in providing an excellent service to the schools, including attending on the job training if necessary. You will be confident in dealing with monies whilst being able to maintain accurate records if required.
- You will be willing to be fully involved role in providing an excellent service by managing the agreed budgets, thereby ensuring a financially viable catering service for both HCL and the Client.
- The ability to communicate fluently with customers in accurate spoken and written English is essential for the post.
HCL is an award-winning specialist caterer with a foundation in the education sector. We provide quality services to academies, colleges and schools whilst maintaining a clear social ethos and bringing the acumen, drive and passion of a rapidly growing commercial organisation.
At HCL our staff is our greatest asset and we are pro-active in providing the tools to develop individuals into motivated teams.
HCL is committed to openness and equality of opportunity in every activity, from the way we employ staff to the way we deliver services. It is a central responsibility of managers and employees of the company to ensure that every individual that we come into contact with is treated with dignity and respect. An HCL Employee Handbook will be given to all staff, and a full briefing on the contents of the policy is included in induction.
DISCLOSURE & BARRING SERVICE
Safeguarding children and adults is of utmost importance to HCL. The company expects employees to abide by legislation and best practice to enable HCL to achieve this. This role has been identified as requiring a DBS check or Basic Disclosure. You must ensure that the appropriate form is completed and returned as requested, as this will form a contractual requirement. If you require a criminal record check, you must allow the company to retain a copy of the disclosure certificate within your personal file should it be required. If you fail to disclose any caution, reprimand or conviction which is later identified on your DBS check you may be subject to disciplinary action and HCL has the right to suspend or dismiss you. Please note that additional information referring to the Disclosure and Barring Service is in the guidance notes to the application form. If you are invited to an interview you will receive more information.
HEALTH AND SAFETY
It will be the duty of every employee while at work to take reasonable care for the Health and safety of themselves and of other persons who may be affected by their acts or omissions at work.
TRAINING AND DEVELOPMENT
HCL is committed to giving you every opportunity to pursue your own personal development, raise your standards of performance and enhance your career prospects. A professional qualification will be required as part of this role. It is vital that you recognise that learning is a personal responsibility and therefore HCL expect you to take an active part in your learning and development.
Previous applicants need not apply. Please note that we reserve the right to close this vacancy before the closing date depending on the amount of applications.
To apply, please email your CV to HCL.Recruitment@hertfordshire.gov.uk, including the school name, or click 'APPLY NOW' below.